Known as the athletic type of body shape, this shape is all about broad shoulders that results in narrow hips and waist. If you feel that your shoulders take away all the attention and your body lacks curve, then you are an Inverted Body Shape.
AKA the Strawberry or Carrot body shape.
- Shoulders are wider than the hipline.
- Body projects a lot more of an athletic physique.
- Your hips are slim and your bottom may have a tendency towards the flat side.
- Your legs are beautiful in shape and are your best assets.
- The waist may be little or may not be defined.
The only thing is that your body looks very muscular due to the shoulders and the lack of curves. The basic strategy is to draw the attention away from the shoulders. Adding more volume and width around your hips, waist, and thighs is key that softens your broad shoulders.
You can create curves around your bottom. Wear anything that will make your hips and thighs look fuller. Adding details to your hips will make you look curvier and tone down your shoulders.
- Avoid vertical stripes that will make your lower body look slimmer and go for more of horizontal stripes that will add volume to your lower body.
- Textures, prints and laces in horizontal details.
- Bold prints and textures.
- Go for bright as well as dark colours for skirts and pants.
- Skirts with ruffles and pleats. You can go use stiffer fabrics as well.
- Flare and wide leg jeans and pants could be worn.
Choose clothes that will tone down your shoulder-line.
- Wrap style tops or dresses.
- Tops with raglan sleeves or shoulder slits and cutouts.
- Choose dark colours like black, navy blue and maroon.
- Opt for narrow V-line necklines and nipped in waist that flares slightly at the hip.
- Look for tops with vertical stripes the slim down the shoulder line.
- Jackets with deep V-necklines, a nipped-in waist and flared bottom or hip pocket details.
For some people, the broad shoulders are their main assets, so for them, my advice is to just show it off. Avoid overdoing it or it may make you look like a stick figure but you can flaunt it by adding curves to your hips.
There are many models with this body type as for them their shoulders act like hangers, and therefore, clothes hang perfectly on them.
You may not exactly be an inverted triangle, so you probably have a secondary body type. Therefore, try to be flexible and follow the guidelines for both your primary and secondary body type.
Life isn’t perfect but your outfit can be. Enjoy this post and the next one about an hourglass will be up really soon. 🙂